get Licensed quickly
The VEC testing sessions are typically held at our clubhouse located in Metairie, LA at the Wally Pontiff Playground (formerly Metairie Playground). Test dates are typically at 6:30 pm on the Third Monday of odd numbered months and at 8:30 am on the Second Saturday of even numbered months. If these dates are not convenient for you, please check our calendar for other upcoming test dates.
We electronically submit the test results to the FCC very soon after your testing is completed, usually the next business day. This ensures the fastest possible route for getting your license. You may search the FCC’s Universal Licensing System for your callsign as early has 2-3 business days after you pass your test. As soon as your callsign shows up in the ULS, you are allowed to transmit with your earned privileges.
On February 17, 2015 the FCC went Paperless and no longer issues paper license documents to Amateur Radio applicants and licensees. You can print the Official hardcopy of your license by logging into the FCC License Manager by clicking here. You will need to enter your FRN Registration Number and Password that was generated when you registered for a FRN number with the FCC.
Effective August 21, 2017 there is an updated NCVEC Form 605 application for an Amateur Operator/Primary Station License. A new FCC Basic Qualification Question has been added. Instructions for completing this form are explained on the back. You may download and print this form by clicking here and bringing it with you when coming to the JARC for testing or license updates.
When you’re ready to take a test, here are a few pointers:
- We recommend that if you are taking your first license test, that you register with the FCC to get a FRN number. This number can be used on the forms instead of using your Social Security number. You can register by clicking here.
- Bring two #2 pencils with erasers and a pen.
- Calculator – This is optional and you must be able to demonstrate that the memories are erased and formulas cleared.
- Our address, a map, and directions to our clubhouse are available by clicking here. Feel free to contact any of our club members if you still need assistance in locating our clubhouse. You can also email us regarding testing inquiries by clicking here.
- You are required to bring your driver’s license or other government issued photo identification to take the test. If applicable, bring a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio license and any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. The VEC Exam fee for the test is currently $13 dollars. This fee is strictly to cover the cost of materials associated with producing the test. It is not used for any level of profit. Also, be sure to pack your brain and we wish you the best of luck on test day!